view current
Real Estate Investments instantly.

Get an email or an
RSS Feed sent to you automatically.

Email Subscription

Delivered by FeedBurner

RSS Subscription

  • What's RSS?
  • How do I subscribe?

Sign up for RSS   Sign up!


4506 Tax Form

The 4506 tax form is used when individuals or businesses require a copy of their tax return. Form 4506 can also be used to designate a third party to receive the tax return. This might be required if an person or entity wants their tax return sent to their certified public accountant, probate executor, attorney or bank.

Probate executors using 4506 tax form must adhere to Internal Revenue Service guidelines set forth in section 6103(e) pertaining to confidentiality laws. Section 6103 guidelines also apply to obtaining tax returns for dissolved corporations and bankruptcy trustees.

Form 4506 can be used to obtain copies of tax returns filed on Form 1040, 1120, 941, 706, etc. Submitting the 4506 tax form allows taxpayers to obtain a copy of the tax return and all attachments originally submitted to the IRS. Attachments include W-2, 1099, schedules and amended returns.

If taxpayers require copies of multiple years or various types of tax returns, a separate 4506 tax form must be completed for each. For instance, if a tax payer or third party requires five years of previous tax returns, five separate 4506 forms must be submitted.

Currently, the IRS charges $57 for each requested tax return. A check or money order must be submitted with Form 4506 and made payable to "United States Treasury". The requestor must include the social security number or employer identification number and "Form 4506 request" on the check or money order.

If the taxpayer only requires a summary of previous tax returns, they can use Form 4506-T to request a transcript. This form is oftentimes used by individuals filing for bankruptcy protection.

The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 require debtors to provide a copy or transcript of their most recently filed federal tax return, as well as amended returns or past due returns filed while their bankruptcy case is pending. Debtors must present tax returns or transcripts to the bankruptcy court seven days prior to their initial meeting of creditors.

Individuals who require tax return copies to satisfy new bankruptcy law requirements should submit 4506 tax form at least 90 priors to needing them. The IRS generally requires a minimum of 60 days to respond once they receive the request.

Form 4506 and 4506-T can be downloaded for free via the Internal Revenue Service website at

We invite you to learn more about probate and bankruptcy in our comprehensive article library.